Ludum Dare 24: Update 2

· gamejam
This blog post is more than two years old. It is preserved here in the hope that it is useful to someone, but please be aware that links may be broken and that opinions expressed here may not reflect my current views. If this is a technical article, it may no longer reflect current best practice.

I seem to be the only one still going in Room 205 at the moment. Everyone else has gone home for some sleep before continuing. I may have made an error in marching on, but only time will tell. There’s now about 18 hours to go and I have a playable game.

As I’ve mentioned in my previous posts during this Ludum Dare “compo”, my game is written in pure C using ncurses. You play the role of a pizza chef that has to make pizzas. I intended to have a steep learning curve to the game and I believe I have achieved that. This forces the player to evolve, a twist on the theme where I imaging most games will have either the character in the game or game elements doing the evolving.

When I dropped into the IRC channel, the question was raised of how I would make this available to Windows users once submitted. All the development has been done on a Linux workstation, but I’m sure Windows libraries exist for ncurses and I know for a fact that gcc exists there. Still, as a bit of an experiment, I tried out compiling and running it in JS/Linux and it worked.

Over the next hour, I’ll be writing up some quick READMEs and getting my code into github. I already feel like I’ve achieved something I would normally not have done and when I got it working in JS/Linux I had to go for a walk to calm down due to being so excited.

This is what Ludum Dare is all about.

Here are some screenshots for now:

My game running in a Linuxterminal

My game running in JS/Linux

If you would like to contact me with comments, please send me an email.
If you would like to support my free software work, you can support me on Patreon or donate via PayPal.